- In our new Strategic Plan, we’ve re-emphasized employment as a priority when planning with individuals and families.
- Spectrum Society will support employment as a first option for those who want to work, with 50% of individuals in our community inclusion services having documented employment plans by 2017.
Karen Lai is our primary employment specialist, acting as a resource to managers and teams who support people interested in employment.
Karen has started a blog to track Spectrum’s employment initiative – check it out here!
Coming Employment Events:
Karen is hosting monthly employment support group meetings that allow people to share strategies and stories about employment. The next meeting is on March 10, 2017 at the Spectrum Office board room at 10am. Here is a link to the Flyer with more details.
Resources on the Web:
- Employment for All– is a website that promotes best practices in Supported Employment.
- Family Works – familyWORKs believes that families have the power and responsibility to lead the way in strengthening the participation of people with disabilities in our economic community.
- Abilities At Work: Abilities at Work was developed to build the capacity of employers in the Canadian Transportation Industry to attract, hire and develop employees with disabilities. The program works directly with four employers: Seaspan, Rocky Mountaineer, CHC Helicopter and YVR Airport.