Ways to Stay Home, Stay Safe in your Neighbourhood
We had a Zoom meeting on Tuesday, April 21st, 2020 to share ideas on ways to keep healthy and busy while we stay home and stay safe. There is lots of room for your ideas too, so send them to Arlene for addition to this page.
- Stay social – find ways to connect with family and friends.
- Stay active – get exercise every day
- Get fresh air – Get outside and appreciate nature
- Be creative – explore arts, crafts, baking, writing
Ideas that were generated:
- More meal planning than usual – looking for interesting recipes and planning for the week.
- Yoga exercises
- Online video games where you play with friends and chat
- Neighbourhood Bingo – see attached card – print and walk around your neighbourhood to complete your card. Share cards with your neighbours if you are competitive.
- Baking – you have time for bread now
A List of Suggestions and Links
Compiled by Arlene Zuckernick and Ernie Baatz
*Create a thank you poster to essential workers – health care, care givers, delivery and also to your helpful neighbours and put in window or on front door
*Send a thank you message to BC care providers https://bccare.ca/tellthemyoucare
*A really friendly site with A number of activities posted. Use the search bar and menu to find ones of interest https://kudoz.ca
This site is one you want to explore. Lots of good ideas!
*In small groups (2-4 sites)
- Watch a video together online https://www.watch2gether.com/
- Plan, Cook and enjoy a meal together at a distance or do a potluck
- Create a Word or Graphic Story together
- Create a costume together
Indoor Fitness and Fun
- Laughter Yoga: http://www.laughteryogacanada.org/vancouver/leaders/richmond-2/richmond/ Please be sure to Contact Shelley by email or contact Family Support Institute before
- Scroll down for a number of Videos
- YMCA Exercise videos https://ymca360.org/on-demand#/
- Check out https://www.comakedo.ca/ and https://kudoz.ca
Outdoors Fitness and Fun
- Go for a hike
- Run/walk a track in your neighbourhood
- Fly a kite –make your own just google make your own kite
- Outdoor scavenger hunt
- Picnic in a park
- Start a small garden
- Play Neighbourhood Bingo (cards available to download and print soon)
- This is from a community choir on Vancouver Island. Opportunities to listen in and possibly participate.
- Intro Hip Hop Class – Mr. Derek and How to be a Hip Hop Dancer!
Arts and Crafts, Games, Reading, Learning etc
- A variety of ideas and activity sheets: https://www.mencap.org.uk/advice-and-support/health/information-about-coronavirus/coronavirus-ways-keep-busy
- Check out the links: http://www.amazingeducationalresources.com/
- Free audio books http://www.openculture.com/freeaudiobooks
- Explore the earth online https://www.google.com/earth/
- https://aggie.io/ – Draw together online
- https://pixlr.com/ – Photoshop like online
- https://artsandculture.google.com/ lots of fun activities from around the world
- https://www.tate.org.uk/kids/games-quizzes – online art games
- http://www.jacksonpollock.org/ – make Pollock paintings
- http://www.jigzone.com/gallery/Art – jigsaw maker
- Free Covid-19 Printables – colouring pages, bingo cards
A Few Other Sites with Multiple Ideas and/or Links
- Connectability https://connectability.ca/what-to-do-while-in-isolation-covid-19-resources/ An Ontario based site with good ideas and links
- Rick Hansen Foundation:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_WyU2BEIsFMnzjTIEdy1RPGVJEQRSxJMdDpAUc9tou4/edit#
- This is a massive list. We will try to highlight in the future some especially good ideas. A Few videos scroll down: https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2020/04/05/toronto-program-for-youth-with-developmental-disabilities-tries-to-make-connections-virtually-covid-19-outbreak.html
- Four Things to do During a Pandemic to Enhance Community and personal well-being
- Fifty Ways to Stay Sane During the Coronavirus Pandemic
- Thirty Fun Things to Do at Home
- The World’s 15 Best Virtual Tours to Take During Coronavirus