Written by: Karen Lai, Employment Connector
Yes, you are right… achieving employment is a big step, but to continue with this, once you get the employment, it is maintaining it, especially during the first few months of employment where you want to prove yourself that you are the right person for the position.
There are a lot of things to start yourself on the right foot such as:
- Be on time – this shows your employer that you are well-organized and respect the work that you have been employed.
- Be excited about going to work – the employers appreciate it when they see their staff coming to work and talking about positive things about their work environment.
- Be willing to meet other colleagues – during the first few days, weeks, and months, you’ll meet a bunch of new people as this will be your team. It is always important to know their names and what roles they play. As well, it is important to start off on the right foot and build a network of work colleagues.
- Ask questions – your employer will understand that you need extra guidance during the first few months of employment.
- Dress appropriately – continue to wear the appropriate clothing to work or if they have an uniform, make sure it is clean, and you wear it nicely.
- Fulfill your role – ensure that you fulfill your duties well and clearly so that you convinced your supervisor that they have hired the right person.
The last point is important because you want to prove that they have employed the right person and that they have made the right selection from all the other candidates. It’s your opportunity to shine!