When to Report an Injury at Work

Below is some information about when and how to report an injury incurred while working as per WorkSafeBC’s policy.

  • When to Report an Injury

A reportable injury is an injury arising out of and in the course of employment, or which is claimed by the worker to have arisen out of and in the course of employment, where one of the following conditions is present or subsequently occurs:

  • The worker loses consciousness following the injury.
  • The worker is transported or directed by a first aid attendant or other employer representative to a hospital or other place of medical treatment, or is recommended by such persons to go to such place.
  • The injury is one that obviously requires medical treatment.
  • The worker has received medical treatment for the injury.
  • The worker is unable or claims to be unable by reason of the injury to return to his or her usual job function on any working day subsequent to the day of injury.
  • The injury or accident resulted or is claimed to have resulted in the breakage of an artificial member, eyeglasses, dentures or a hearing aid.
  • The worker or WorkSafeBC has requested that an employer’s report be sent.

Where none of the conditions listed above are present, an injury is a minor injury and not required to be reported to WorkSafeBC unless one of those conditions subsequently occurs. However, it is important to report EVERY injury to your manager/coordinator, to ensure that all necessary precautions are being taken to prevent further injury going forward.

How to Report an Injury

  • Report your injury to your employer as soon as possible.
  • Seek medical attention for your injury. If you need an ambulance or transportation from your workplace to your doctor’s office or the hospital, your employer is required to pay those costs. Be sure to tell your doctor that your injury is work related.
  • Report your injury to WorkSafeBC as soon as possible. If you miss work as a result of your injury, please call our Teleclaim Contact Centre (1 888 967-5377). If a WorkSafeBC staff member asks you to complete a Worker’s incident and injury report or an Application for Compensation and Report of Injury or Occupational Disease (Form 6) at any time it is important that you do so and submit it as soon as possible.

Alternatively, instead of having your doctor complete the above WorkSafe forms, you can complete Spectrum’s Employee Injury/Accident Report form.

The form can be found on Spectrum’s website within Human Resources  Forms: http://spechome.sharevision.ca/OHS/SharedDocuments/EmployeeInjuryReportForm.pdf

The completed form then gets sent to the Disability Management Institute (DMI) and they communicate on behalf of Spectrum with WorkSafe and the injured employee.

Leave a Reply