Great BC Shakeout October 20, 2016
On October 20 at 10:20 a.m., millions of people worldwide will practice how to “Drop, Cover and Hold On” during Great ShakeOut Earthquake Drills. British Columbians can join by registering for the 2016 Great British Columbia ShakeOut.
Between now and October 20:
- Consider how an earthquake will affect your area. Know how to protect yourself.
- Download audio and video recordings of the ShakeOutBC drill, which provide easy to follow instructions for participants.
- Talk to other people or organizations about what they’re doing to prepare. Display ShakeOutBC posters around your community, school, campus or business to raise awareness about the drill and earthquake preparedness.
October 20, 10:20 a.m.:
- “Drop, Cover, Hold On”: Drop to the ground, take cover under a table or desk and hold on as if a real earthquake was occurring. Learn what you should do if you have a disability or physical limitation.
- While taking cover, look around and imagine what would happen in a major earthquake. What would fall? What would be damaged?What steps can be taken to make your environment safer?
- Consider what to do after the shaking stops.
- Review your Earthquake and Emergency Supplies and Plan
- Is your First Aid Kit fully stocked?
- Are your Earthquake Supplies up-to-date, stored in an accessible location?
- Where is your nearest Community Emergency Shelter?