Learning Opportunities – MAPS and PATH Training – October 16-18, 2017
Co-facilitating MAPS and PATH as exemplary forms of person centred planning for individuals, friends and family, teams and organizations
Aaron Johannes and Shelley Nessman
Monday 16 October 2017 – Wednesday 18 October 2017
9:30 am – 4:30 pm
Spectrum Training Centre
What is MAP or PATH planning?
PATH is a process in which a facilitator and a graphic facilitator work with a focal person (or organization or team) and their supporters to create a vision of the best possible future, out of which comes a plan that is always “positive” and “possible,” understood by all and no longer mysterious or scary. By the end of the PATH event the focal person or group has communicated where they want to go, what and who they need to support their journey, and how this part of their lives will be part of a bigger future. Those who care about them often say they feel clear, inspired and hopeful afterwards, and are excited to take on action oriented roles. A PATH is a great tool to bring a network together and the “new” PATH processes focus on the development of support networks more than ever!
Shelley and Aaron, together and with other partners, have been doing PATHs for individuals, organizations and teams for more than 20 years and this responsive process continues to surprise and delight them as they watch individuals and teams who think they hate “planning” come to life and families get excited about the future.
What a PATH is:
- powerful and empowering
- practical and dream-based
- communal and individualised
- a great way to bring a support network together
- a great way to get on the same page
What PATH is not?
- a cookie cutter approach
- a way to force someone to be part of your plan for them
Who are PATHFINDERS?
- individuals who are at a time in their lives when a creative, inspired approach feels right
- facilitators looking for a person centred method of planning they can use in a variety of situations
- families who want to work together
- friends who want to make a difference
- committed employers
- agency leaders wanting to know what’s optimal so they can do their best work
Over three days together, in a small group, we will…
- see a PATH being facilitated by experienced facilitators with opportunities for questions
- learn the steps of a PATH
- have fun with drawing, even if we think we can’t draw
- facilitate a PATH for someone
- graphically facilitate a PATH for someone
- have a PATH done for ourselves
- learn to honor this process as participatory leaders
- have fun, get energized and think new thoughts
- learn about other person centred planning methods
- get a really cool certificate
- share our strengths
* There may or may not be dancing penguins involved at this workshop
Have questions about MAPS and PATH Training?
Shelley, until recently a partner in Spectrum Consulting, is now one of the co-owners of http://incompanyofothers.com. She will be happy to answer any questions you have about this upcoming training. Contact her at 778-879-2811 or by email email@example.com
To learn more about Aaron’s work, check out www.imagineacircle.com