Path Training – October 20th – October 22nd, 2021
About this event
We will examine several tools for thinking about person centred planning, network development and goal setting. We will focus particularly on PATH as a template for planning but will also look at MAPS, Solution Circles, the Circles diagram and One Page Profiles. At the end of this three days together participants will be able to facilitate groups of various kinds as well as support individuals to identify their networks and expand them. Participants will gain basic drawing skills (we’ve trained dozens of people who also thought they couldn’t draw – it will be fun!) and facilitation skills, within the context of person centred thinking and planning, which now has a history of more than 50 years of good evidence that we can support people’s aspirations for better lives and networks. (Minimum number of registrants is 6)
Facilitated by Aaron Johannes, Eilidh Nicholson and Rhona Segarra with self advocate guest commentary.
Required Supplies: supplies for in-person participants will be provided. Online participants will receive a list of recommended supplies prior to the class.
This training will be offered as a hybrid program, with participants both on Zoom and in-person.
• In-person (up to 8 people, subject to Covid-19 protocols) at Spectrum Society, Barb Goode Training Space 3223 Kingsway, Vancouver, BC V5R 5K3
• On Zoom (link will be sent to participants upon registration); participants can work individually or what would be perfect would be any group of multiples of three working in their own sites, with a comfortable area to sit and work, and a blank wall space that’s approximately by 4’ by 6’.
What is PATH planning?
PATH is a process in which a facilitator and a graphic facilitator work with a focal person (or organization or team) and their supporters to create a vision of the best possible future, out of which comes a plan that is always “positive” and “possible,” understood by all and no longer mysterious or scary.
By the end of the PATH event the focal person or group has communicated where they want to go, what and who they need to support their journey, and how this part of their lives will be part of a bigger future. Those who care about them often say they feel clear, inspired and hopeful afterwards, and are excited to take on action-oriented roles. A PATH is a great tool to bring a network together and the “new” PATH processes focus on the development of support networks more than ever!
PATH is one exemplary tool but we’ll also look at other tools that support this work.
Eilidh and Aaron, together and with other partners, have been doing PATHs for individuals, organizations and teams for more than 25 years collectively and this responsive process continues to surprise and delight them as they watch individuals and teams who think they hate “planning” come to life, and families get excited about the future.
What a PATH is:
• powerful and empowering
• practical and dream-based
• communal and individualized
• a great way to bring a support network together
• a great way to get on the same page
What PATH is not:
a cookie cutter approach
a way to force someone to be part of your plan for them
Who are PATHFINDERS?
• individuals who are at a time in their lives when a creative, inspired approach feels right
• facilitators looking for a person centred method of planning they can use in a variety of situations
• families who want to work together
• friends who want to make a difference
• committed employers
• agency leaders wanting to know what’s optimal so they can do their best work
Over three days together, in hybrid training consisting of a small group in person and online on Zoom, we will…
• see a PATH being facilitated by experienced facilitators with opportunities for questions
• learn the steps of a PATH
• have fun with drawing, even if we think we can’t draw
• facilitate a PATH for someone
• graphically facilitate a PATH for someone
• have a PATH done for ourselves
• learn to honor this process as participatory leaders
• have fun, get energized and think new thoughts
• learn about other person centred planning methods
• get a really cool certificate
• share our strengths
• * there may or may not be dancing penguins involved at this workshop
Have questions about PATH Training?
Date and time
Wed, 20 Oct 2021, 9:30 AM –
Fri, 22 Oct 2021, 4:30 PM PDT
Spectrum Society, Barb Goode Training Space
Vancouver, BC V5R 5K3
Contact the organizer to request a refund.
Eventbrite’s fee is nonrefundable.